Sunday, January 31, 2016

Day 20, MAMBA and More

(Thursday, the 28th of January, 2016)
I woke up this morning and did the usual, ate breakfast and went out to buy a bag of cookies for my lunch. I decided to head for some museums within walking distance today, I decided on the Buenos Aires Museum of Modern Art (MAMBA) and the National History Museum (MHN).

Both were really great in their own way, the MAMBA had some great pieces and exhibits, including a historical one which originally opened in 1965 in downtown Buenos Aires called "La Menesunda". So they rebuilt this exhibit on the third floor of the gallery and man it was super interesting. "La Menesunda" means a difficult or embarrassing situation, which describes the exhibit perfectly. It was a maze of mirrors mixed with a Ripley's Believe it or Not museum. It spanned about 12 rooms and you had to walk through each room one at a time as each room threw you into a different, unrelated situation. A room full of neon, a room full of old TVs playing old news clips, a bedroom with actors lying in bed staring at you as you pass. Eventually you find yourself in a giant refrigerator, a room full of punching bags, a room full of confetti and fans, it was really fun and cool.





After that mind melting experience, I stopped in a park to eat my lunch and then I headed over to the National History Museum. This museum had a one hour guided tour in English, which I took and that helped. Although, the tour didn't cover the whole museum so I went through again afterwards a bit slower to cover the whole museum. This museum had a lovely collection of artwork depicting most of the battles and important moments of Argentina, as well as tones of portraits of leaders and important figures. They also had a ton of historical swords and weapons that belonged to famous generals and the like. All in all, a great experience. This museum was free, along with the tour and that has been one great thing that I've noticed about the cultural stuff here in Buenos Aires, I haven't had to pay more than $5 CAD for a Museum of gallery.


After taking some pictures of the busts outside of the museum, I headed back up to San Telmo and had a really hardy, filling dinner at a restaurant near the hostel which was a "Milanesa", Schnitzel with fries and an egg on top. With that filling me up, I headed to bed.

See all of my photos here! Full size here!

Today's video feature is "Grupo Arcano" with "Rumba En Mi Barrio".


No comments:

Post a Comment