Saturday, January 30, 2016

Day 17, Good Morning Big City

(Monday, the 25th of January, 2016)
Well, good morning big city. I was on edge since I woke up at about 6:30, for some reason I thought the bus was going to be direct like a flight, and that everybody was going to the same station that I was going to. That obviously was not the case, so I was getting more and more worried when I saw people getting off, because I thought that that might be the station and trust I'd miss it. But this fear was quite ridiculous, and and the remaining riders got off at Retiro Station, the final station, which is where I was headed. Now the plan was to take a subway down to a different neighbourhood where the hostel is, and most signs in the station talk about a subways station named Retiro as well. Turns out, that it's not in the same building, its about 2 blocks away. And when I got there, the station was closed for maintenance, so that turned into a few more blocks as I had to hit up the next station on the line. Although, once I reached a functioning station things were quite easy to navigate, and cheap. The Subte as its called, doesn't charge fares based on distance, so it only costs 0.50$ CAD to go anywhere on the lines, unlimited interchanges.



I made it to the neighbourhood I'm staying in, it's called San Telmo and for the life of me I couldn't find my hostel. The sign they have outside is completely faded, its called Hostel Tango and you could barely see the letter H, T, and O. The entrance is a nondescript double door made of wood that is always locked (you have to get buzzed in). I walked past it twice before I clued in. Even though it is pretty nondescript on the outside, the inside is quite nice, with murals and paintings covering the lobby walls. It's also huge inside, skinny, but deep as the city block.
 

The rooms are cheap and it's quite empty, so I get the dorm price but also a private room at the same time, because no one else is in the room with me. I got in at about 10:30 AM and I spent some time napping and recovering from the arduous bus ride. For lunch I went for some cheap empanadas at a place around the corner, after that, it's siesta time. So my first day has pretty much been recovery, and pinpointing the locations that I want to see during my stay.


See all of my photos here!

Today's video feature is "Sonex" preforming "Cascabel".


No comments:

Post a Comment