Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Day 36, Planning Patagonia

(Saturday, the 13th of February, 2016)
I woke up pretty nervous today. After a month of travel and after talking to other backpackers, it turns out that I really didn't pack well. I mean, I'm headed to Patagonia to hike and the best I've got are some Nike running shoes. I did some research on the weather down there and it seems like it will be close in temperature to what Ontario feels in spring. Temperatures from 0° to 17° C and perhaps some snow on the ground near the top of the mountains.

So I went out and decided to buy some hiking boots. After that I was faced with the real challenge of trying to fit them in my backpack. This lead me to doing a full inventory of the contents of my bag. There were definitely some things that I didn't need, after a month of travelling I hadn't touched them. So I pared down the contents of my backpack and I was left with the dilemma of what to do with the extra stuff.

I definitely have it lucky because I can pass the extra stuff off to my family to hold on to while I travel. Other travellers have had to leave their stuff behind or give it to other backpackers. My uncle is in Buenos Aires right now, so we made plans to meet tomorrow and I'd hand over the extra stuff to him.

After all that it came to dinner time (Argentine dinner time, ~ 10 PM) and I had fried granola and some beer with a guy from Santiago and we talked a long time about the differences between the Spanish in different countries. That capped off the evening and then it was time to sleep.

(I only took two pics today, so here is one of them. Estación Pueyrredón)

See all of my photos here! Full size here.

No comments:

Post a Comment