Saturday, February 6, 2016

Day 26, Third Country

(Wednesday, the 3rd of February, 2016)
I woke up for an early breakfast and an early exit from the Lime House as I hit the Subte to get to the ferry dock. Getting through custom was a lot easier than I thought, online the ferry company website lists a bunch of rules, really similar to those of an airline. They don't really follow their own rules though, as I passed my snack (a bag of cookies, obviously) through the scanner no problem.


The three hour ferry ride was a new experience but otherwise pretty normal. My destination in Uruguay is a little town called Colonia del Sacrimiento, founded by the Portuguese a long time ago. The architecture of the town is quite picturesque and it has a disproportionate amount of museums compared to its size, which will keep me happy. I dropped my stuff off at a place called the Celestino Hostel and then I hit the historic district of the town for some lunch and some museum hopping. Lunch was pretty expensive and I thought I would be getting something other than what arrived, it was pretty bland as well, that restaurant was not going to be revisited by me anytime soon.


The Municipal Museum was open and it actually sold a pass that let you access all seven official museums of Colonia for the rest of the week for only $2.25 CAD, what a deal. So I visited the Municipal Museum which was small but nice, it provided a quick history of the town. I also ended up taking some money out at a Scotiabank on the main street. Yep, apparently Scotiabank has expanded into the Uruguayan market, sadly I didn't get a reduction on fees or anything for being a Canadian using a Canadian institution.



I headed back to the hostel for a while and I met this roommate from France named Simon. We spent the rest of the evening talking in French and Spanish about travel and whatnot, he made some dinner and we sat with a couple from New Zealand and shared some beer. He was headed to Montevideo the next day, so I said that I might see him later when I head over there. With that great evening behind me, I decided to sleep.


See all of my pictures here! Full size here.

Today's video feature is the group "AfroMantra" with the piece "11:11 Spirit".


No comments:

Post a Comment