Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Day 41, End of the World

(Thursday, the 18th of February, 2016)
It felt like my head had just hit the last night, but the alarm was ringing so presumably I'd slept a little bit. I rolled out of my bed into my clothes and backpack and headed out into the early morning to the nearby bus station. Somebody told me that I needed to take bus 45, and I confirmed that online. What I didn't know is that there are two bus 45s, A and B. One goes to the airport which is where I want to go, the other goes to the Retiro neighbourhood, which is not the place to be at 5 in the morning. Once the bus driver convinced me that I was on the wrong bus, I got off and decided that a taxi might be better.

I made it to the airport all good after that little screw up and I caught the flight. The thing is, the cheapest flight that wasn't at an ungodly hour was to Ushuaia first, layover, then El Calafate. This looks quite crazy on a map because I fly farther south only to take a connection back northwards to my final destination. My layover was already quite long, but the plane was delayed as well which added another hour and a half to the layover. Finally I ended up in El Calafate, a little later than I expected, but what can you do. I checked into the hostel and then I scrambled into town to explore a bit and to get groceries before the grocery store closed.



I picked up a ticket for a glacier tour tomorrow and I ended up staying up cooking till about midnight. The kitchen was busy till about 11:30, because the hostel has 100 backpackers trying to cook in one room with only 8 burners to cook on, yikes. Although I did end up meeting this cool kiwi named Chris and we had a midnight dinner together. After a quick cleanup, it was high time to sleep, seeing as I was up at about 5:00 AM this morning.





See all of my pictures here!

No comments:

Post a Comment